View Single Post
Old 28th August 2013, 09:55 AM
Stoopit forriner.

I already have an NJR, and I had a Pro Target. Pro Targets are boring...
Seriously, I parted with the PT, because I thought I'd have more fun getting a fairly limp AA100 to shoot well. I just liked the 100 better, even though I've had quite good results with the PT.

Having to spend work on it is something that I see as a challenge rather than as a problem, or I would've never got the 100. That's one of the things I like about the AR20 too.

If anything, it won't be a boring, 13-in-a-dozen rifle. Think of how it would feel to get an Aldi-type gun to shoot well enough to beat someone shooting a Steyr with it.

Which brings me to how I feel about it. I don't shoot to win (well, of course I try, but I'm realistic), I shoot to enjoy shooting and to enjoy my rifles.

So, of course I could buy a GC2. But seriously, the GC2 would be, in terms of character, a direct competitor to the 100, and I don't want that. However unlikely, the GC2 might theoretically be more accurate even and I can't do that to the 100. It would be like leaving the one you love for someone who is a better cook.

I could also buy a Pro Target. That would be the rifle equivalent of a Honda VFR. Terribly efficient, quite boring, and you see lots of them.

The Aldi rifle would be the complete opposite of the 100, and that would be ok.
Even though it might be more accurate (and I hear more folks claiming they are, in fact, surprisingly accurate), the NJR could still stick up its nose and say
"ha! I'm 23 years your senior, and I'll still be shooting when you are dead and forgotten. And I have nicer boobs."

I can't find a better way to explain it, really.

Rest assured... I will definitely try it before I decide to take the jump.
The Filthy Pig: Air Arms 100 (1990) + AA Olympic trigger + Welham reg + Custom Shop CS1000 stock. Status: leaking.
The Unknown Quantity: AA EV2 Mk4. + BSA Platinum 10-50x60 + Jon Harris wheel. Status: sorted up to 25 yds.
The Limping Dog: Air Arms Shamal (1989) + unknown origin sporter stock + Optisan Cobra 3-9x42. Status: slowly leaking; needs work.
The Ox: HW97k + Venom Lazaglide. Status: working just fine; needs scope.
with apologies to NJR100

Last edited by peterh; 28th August 2013 at 10:10 AM.