View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2013, 06:16 AM
Stoopit forriner.

You can do so anyway.... just not for this reason is all I'm saying. It would be like giving the finger to the USA because binary.
(there's 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.)
Or giving the finger to the EU because of continental drift.
Which, come to think of it, is a bit of a bother - without continental drift, FT and HFT on the continent would be a lot better than it is today. Plus it's a real logistic pain in the rear dept. for us to visit all these splendid English events. (no, there is no irony here... the nicest matches I've shot in were in England).

I'm sure that you'll be able to find a lot more valid reasons to sticking yours up the EU, though. But the metric system, and the system of base and derived units which became the International System of Units, was around long before there was any thought of an EU, or even the ECSC that preceded the EU.
Coincidentally, a lot of work for a coherent meauring units was done by - get this - the British Association for the Advancement of Science.

It this at this point where I put the lid on a fascinating bit of scientific history, or else I get carried away.
The Filthy Pig: Air Arms 100 (1990) + AA Olympic trigger + Welham reg + Custom Shop CS1000 stock. Status: leaking.
The Unknown Quantity: AA EV2 Mk4. + BSA Platinum 10-50x60 + Jon Harris wheel. Status: sorted up to 25 yds.
The Limping Dog: Air Arms Shamal (1989) + unknown origin sporter stock + Optisan Cobra 3-9x42. Status: slowly leaking; needs work.
The Ox: HW97k + Venom Lazaglide. Status: working just fine; needs scope.
with apologies to NJR100