View Single Post
Old 15th August 2013, 09:02 PM
Stoopit forriner.

When I originally posted about this here, it was explained to me that the pellet's head size was unimportant - it was the BATCH NUMBER that counts. From the responses I got, I learnt that what I should do is this:

1. find a pellet that my gun likes
2. identify the batch,
3. BUY AS MANY OF THIS BATCH AS I CAN GET, and live off that while they last.
4. when these are finished, repeat from 1.

Several people pointed out that the head size that is on the bottom of the tin bears no relation to the real head size. I don't have a pellet sizer, but I do have a Mitutoyo digital caliper that measures to a hundreth of a millimeter. When I measure the Daystates, whether from the 4.51 tin or from the 4.52 tin, I measure them at 4.47mm with surprising consistency. The Air Arms 4.51's (also old stock) measure up at 4.48. So I guess that the 4.51 and 4.52 are bollocks indeed.
The Filthy Pig: Air Arms 100 (1990) + AA Olympic trigger + Welham reg + Custom Shop CS1000 stock. Status: leaking.
The Unknown Quantity: AA EV2 Mk4. + BSA Platinum 10-50x60 + Jon Harris wheel. Status: sorted up to 25 yds.
The Limping Dog: Air Arms Shamal (1989) + unknown origin sporter stock + Optisan Cobra 3-9x42. Status: slowly leaking; needs work.
The Ox: HW97k + Venom Lazaglide. Status: working just fine; needs scope.
with apologies to NJR100