View Single Post
Old 31st July 2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by shoki View Post
OK, so i have a general question
If a person is considered a good FT shooter, what kind of results should that person have when training?
Say, when shooting on paper at 50m , what should be my ctc to consider myself a good shooter?

If you don't mind, post your general score, so that i can get some kind of reference to which to grade myself...

I hope you understand what i'm getting at...

It is very difficult to know what your standard of shooting is in relation to others when by yourself. I, for a while, was practising by myself with no one else to gauge my level of shooting.

With that in mind, I think it may be an idea of setting up a training course of targets to practise with. I, like Simon (NJR100) try to get a number of shots within a 25mm disc at 45yd (40m) and then repeat it at 55yds(50m) before going on to shoot our FT course.

Bench resting your rifle in still conditions will allow you to understand your groups at the various distances. For example, I would expect up to lets say 30m all pellets benchrested should be within a group size of no greater than 15mm. Up to 50m no greater than 25mm. This I would think would be the minimum standard of rifle and pellet combination. Pellets are a fickle thing as the same make will have differences which can throw pellets anywhere or just the occasional flyer.

Not sure what the kill zone sizes are in your country but those above are based on ours in the UK.

Thinking about it a little bit I think practising on known distance targets will get you happy with your rifle set up. It is very rare that you will have targets that are in 'standard' locations as every course designer/lay out will be different. Practising on level ground and flat targets will build confidence but when you have uneven ground and targets higher and lower that you, the better you will be able to compensate and understand your set up.

I have found that when shooting a course and 'see' my misses I mark on the score card a small dot where I miss. When the course is finished I take a photo of the card for reference and then use it to see if I can understand why I missed. Simon does this and it is his idea that I have pinched

You know how many targets you will normally knock down, think of that as the bench mark and you have to hit more than that each time. Once constantly you can hit lets say 20/40 then raise the number to 22. Only when you have been able to hit a minimum of 22 for a number of practise days in different conditions and days can you increase it.

Our practise course is 20 targets, my minimum is currently 14 and for the last few weeks I have been around or lower than that. Some of the targets get moved every other week so the course is not always the same. My let downs are standers which I am practising more as I have difficulty in kneeling at the moment. On a current GP course that means I take 10 shots standing and with my 50% record I know I will lose 5 shots before I even start.