View Single Post
Old 27th June 2013, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the reply

I'm really not trying to discourage you fella. Goodness knows that it won't be easy for you given the problems you've stated. Shooting from a chair with the issues you mention will be difficult enough. I'm not suggesting for a second that you will have it easier than the able bodied people shooting prone.

The point that I was trying to make was that HFT is basically a prone shooting sport. Most of the shots are taken that way. In addition to that the course setters make it more difficult by putting targets in positions where a normal, comfortable prone position isn't possible. A simple 35 yard 25mm kill target would be quite easy in a normal prone position. Put the peg so the shooter is lying slightly downbank and then having to shoot up at a steepish angle because that 35 yard target is high up a tree and that now is not an easy target. I'm not saying it would be easy for you in your chair but you are not taking that shot as it was intended by the course setters and how most of the other competitors would take it. I can think of lots of examples where you wouldn't have been able to get to the peg. So you may be allowed to shoot it from a few yards away. That's fine but you are again not shooting the same target.

So are you actually shooting HFT? Or are you shooting a HFT course from a wheelchair? Can you accept that or do you want to be competing? You'd be competing against yourself and the course and your personal best ( to be honest that's what most of us do ) but you wouldn't be shooting the same course as most others.

That's why I said there's a difference between someone 'having a go' and someone competing in that HFT shoot. If you are happy with that and you can get around the courses safely then go for it fella and enjoy.

Last edited by skires; 27th June 2013 at 09:46 AM.