Thread: Bisley
View Single Post
Old 10th June 2013, 11:15 AM
Member of: Purley Chase FTC

Originally Posted by Strokebloke View Post
Holly, I would, on a serious note, appreciate your wisdom and opinion.

I have watched a number of GP standard Field Target shoots on video.
I have also watched some of the World series Field Target competitions, again on video.
Having done so, I am very seriously considering contacting Lyn Calvert and asking her to remove my name from the entry list - so that the place is available to someone proficient at shooting at this level.
What is indisputably clear is that I am not.
The chances of me getting into any sort of respectable double figures, is quite slim.
I am concerned about holding up people who may have the misfortune to be assigned to shoot with me.
I have never shot a competition before. And even had I done so, I would not have participated in one which inherently exerted such pressure to perform. The potential for great embarrassment is considerable
And at that level of event, my entry would be on a par with a Dartmoor pony at the Grand National at Aintree.

In the interests of the significance of the event, and the participation of the people worthy of a place in it, I feel that it would be wise to retract my entry.

I still intent to attend. And follow the programme that I have described, with the sole revision of being a spectator, rather than a participant. I suspect that I will probably learn infinitely more by simply observing and listening, than I would if I participated.

Your comment and advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Hi Jack,
I would recommend that you compete. I've shot my first couple of GPs this year so I know how nervous the whole prospect can make you. Trust me, you'll find that the 2 minutes you get is ages and if it isn't who cares? Each GP I've shot I've had a really good laugh, making many mistakes along the way and occasionally surprising myself. I shot one GP with a shooter many times my supperior and another shooter who was having a terrible day. But we all laughed and joked our way through the day and encouraged each other through it. It was great, I really enjoyed it and if you throw your hat into the ring so will you.
All the best

Walther LG300 Dominator
Sightron III 10-50x60

Air Arms TX200
Big Nikko 10-50x60