View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:51 PM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

A number of people have asked me to produce a bracketing chart for different magnifications - i.e. you may have a scope that has true mildots at 16x mag, but you want to shoot and range find on 12x magnification for example.

I've attached my mildot calculator spreadsheet to this post for you to use to produce one yourself.

In the top left hand corner of the spreadsheet you'll see true mildot mag and preferred shooting mag - just enter the magnification that your scope has true mildots at and the mag you want to shoot at. They're both set at 10 and 10 to start with.

The main spreadsheet itself has Mildots down the left, and yards along the top - the numbers in the chart are the size of the object you want to bracket in mm. For the example I've given in this thread we were using the hinge to the centre of kill zone - which is about 110mm.

So to use the chart you look up 110 (or as near as you can get) in the main chart for each yardage - then read across to the left to see how many mildots it is.

You might notice that some of the mildot's are missing!.. 1.3, 2.3, 3,3 etc.. There was a reason for this, but don't worry about it.. you can always just change the 1.2 to a 1.3 and the spreadsheet will recalculate instantly.

You could also use this spreadsheet to make up a range chart for 15mm kills, 25mm kills etc etc..

Hope this helps.. I really can't stress this too often though - Don't rely on mildot bracketing as a primary method of range finding.. use it as a last resort if all else fails.
Attached Files
File Type: xls MilDotBracketting.xls (191.5 KB, 419 views)