Thread: UKSARC Question
View Single Post
Old 27th April 2013, 07:55 AM
Ich dien
Member of: Quarry Hunters

Originally Posted by Tye View Post
Hi the main objective I think with UKSARC is to replicate a genuine hunting scenario. So no peg being used is for that reason the key is the targets as kills are in correct places I.e in the head. Lower scores are mainly due to doughnutting the target going for the outright kill. Which in fairness is what would happen if you were hunting out on a field. It's definitely tougher for the average shooter but its to replicate hunting and with a basic set up. I still will say a standard decent gun will do what a target will do this is proved week in week out. Also point to make is the recoiling shooters actually have an advantage not using a peg. The peg restricts the recoiling shooters natural and most comfortable position. It is a competition but main points of UKSARC is to replicate hunting with a simple set up which 99% of people will use in the field. It's got full support from Solware and Brocock. Another shooting discipline that wil get more airgunners involved. I'm very surprised that it hasn't had any coverage in any of mainstream airgunning magazines very surprised.
I wasn't going to reply on here as nothing to do with me, but as my name has been mentioned and also UKAHFT,so thought i would. I,ve posted something similar before.

Quite a few people say why “Hunter” is in the name as it’s not like hunting, well you can’t and never will simulate hunting, but if you and your gun is good enough you can compete and do well with your hunting gun and don’t have to buy “race guns” to shoot.

I’ve had a few interesting conversations lately regarding HFT and the myth that it was designed to simulate hunting, UKAHFT was created as a target sport that uses simulated hunting scenarios such as squirrels and birds in trees, rabbits tucked in a bush but first & foremost UKAHFT is a target sport, and so is any sport that uses targets and lanes.

When out hunting you have a choice whether or not to take a shot but in any competition sport you don’t, you must take the shot in the time allocated from a specific peg/lane, you can’t stalk a bit closer or wait for the wind to die.

Some people have also said you shouldn’t use pegs yet when I hunted I used a bipod or any means available to take a stable clean shot when prone, I very rarely took a shot off my elbows as I preferred to guarantee a clean kill, the same goes for kneeling and standing, I would use a fence, gate or a tree to ensure a clean kill.

The targets we use have also seen a lot of development & although we still use the std “knockover” type targets we use a lot of modified or novelty targets. We’ve been using headshot targets for many years not to simulate real or imagined hunting kill zones but to further test our shooters abilities by placing them in spots that are easily missed unless the shot is perfectly placed, plus of course you don’t see many head shot Cobra’s, dragons or Dinosaurs in real hunting situations, well maybe in Sussex

Any shooting that involves targets and lanes is a target sport not hunting simulation.

Shooters will always have an opinion on what should or shouldn't be used, but whatever sport or kit they choose is up to them.

There is room for as many shooting sports as there can be, just people need to stop comparing and just shoot.