View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:26 AM
Because I`m AWESIME !!
Member of: Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
Default 2013 Gp1 Millride

2013 GP1 Millride Review

Priest in no 2 Stock, no 27 Leup with lubed Die 39/12 .

Well, thats the last GP I attend at Millrride??
Yesterday was a disapointmet really, cant remember not enjopying a Gp since,er, last time at Millride Gp! Though that in truth was a weather dissaster?
Pity really as I enjoyed the Xmas shoot at millride which was all in the woods.

Top shooting company with Phil James, turns out we were a well matched Pair, of PEARS !
Now Phil and I are both big lads, though he at a mere 17 stone is not quite in my 19 stone class.
Still, anything that means the gun points up is an extra differcult challenge for us Pear Class shooters!

We started on lane 6, 2/3rds of the way up the woods. The lanes in the woods were ok as we were moving uphill but more side on, thus although it was a struggle to breath and parallax the higher shots up the banks and trees, shooting was managable in that i was steady. Wind was almost predictable and apart from 1 lane, no more than 2 targets could be seen in a lane.

Hit the first 4 targets before first miss of the days many!

T15. Long target high up tree at top edge of wood. Same target or very simular was out at xmas. Sort of decided it was 50m and dialed for 49m, in truth it was probably 47 m and i should have spent more time on ranging? Saying that i gave it 1st dot (no 27 ret) and that was a touch too juchh wind, may have got it if dialed 47m?

T16 35m! Watching Phil shoot first, i noticed the strings bowing R - L though it seemd as if the wind should be coming L - r off field as this lane had turned 90 degrees at top of wood. Cross hair inside 3 and pellet, with strigns going left, went right! Down the middle would have had it!

T17 - 47m. Strings bowed well off L - r wind. Bird target so gave 1st Dot whicj meant Cross hair off plate. Watched the pellet sail unbelievably straight off into the grey cloud!

Having hit the first target in the field, the tough 45m angles one, thankfully El Capitano photographed me on that and not t20, swung round to the gimmie high up tree. 30m, full kill, Felt rock steady cross hair inside 9. Dont really know How i managed it but somewhow then rocked back as the shot went off and hit 1/4 inch above 12. First Wobble miss of day.

T21 - Stander, 30m. Slopping ground again but back this time. Could not get steady with too much weioght on back foot and missed high, poor shot not helps by shooting position.

T25 - 35m. Wobbled again, cross hair inside 9 but moved and split 9 edge. Pellet actually hit paddle but it did not go down, thaught of calling it but also thaught of third session !

T27 - Forgot range, think it was long but no matter as it was another miss due to slopping Wobble

t30- 47m. no idea. Bit of wobble, bit of strange wind?

T38 - Standers, 32m, Slopping ground again Not steady with too much weight on back foot and missed high, poor shot not helps by shooting position.

T40 - 45m. Inside 9, wobbled and hit half inch past 9!

T42. 45m. Cross hair in middle, hit 9 edge

T44 - 47m. Gave inside 3 as wind seemed to have switched again, but when i shot it had switched again and went just left. Down middle would have had it.

T47 - 49m Gave inside 9 and saled half inch past 3. No wind felt on legs, no strings moving and at this point Berty was behind me. I heard him say he would go down the middle at that point and i did not expect the pellet to move at all, then had some 60m of wind which was about the most i had along the grass field! Unreadble!

T 49 - 40m, somewhat ****** off and by now with bad back from leaning back into every shot, I miss dailed. Gave it 43m clicks. Aimed inside 9, pellet hit 1. Would have just snuck in if i gave right clicks!

T3. High up banks in woods. 47m. Gave it first Dot which had just worked on T2, same sort of distance and area.
Pellet went stright ! Least the shooting position was flat so my Back was not in pain. Never shot a course before that gave me a bad back, will have to put painkillers in with the pull through!

T5 the third of the high targets on the banks in woods, rat purched high and long in tree branches, 47m. Gave inside 9 as last one went stright and this one cleared 3!

What do you have to do!?? Kneel?

We had 4 targets to go, finishing on knellers. Our penultimate lane was a 15ml at 8m and another 45m. I decided i would take them kneeling so my back had a break.
Hit both Kneeling
Then hit the last two kneeling as well.

A big well done to Shaun, Sam and all those that helped run the unusual three sessions. We did not finish Session 2 until 4.30pm, believe session 3 finished at 6.55pm. Not the solution for a National round to me.

I heard a few shot out of lane targets yesterday, the lanes along the grass field in some cases had more than two targets easily shootable from the gate.
Solution, lane of yellow targets followed by a lane of white or black plate tagets if more than two targets visable in a lane.
I know on the whole most lanes were paired targets, ie 2 x Rats or 2 x rabbits but I dont think that works. It helps, but shooters sit down on the clock and a target comes into view so they concentrait on it, even though it may not be tright one?
I spotted Phil was lining up on the wrong target in one lane and stopped him shooting it

So, the solutions to my problems today?

1 / Get a rule passed at AGm that all shooting positions have to be flat ground, so that obease shooters are not disadvantaged?
not very lilkey to be passed??

2/ Loose weight? Well thats the goal by germany

3 / dont attend grounds with back sloping shooting positions such as all the lanes in the field were.
That will have to do untill "2" is achieved?

Wind. Not much I could do about it today. There, not there, could not see it. Down the middle? Think me and Phil were either unlucky or just shot a bit crap? Phil missed 19!
If I had hit the wobble shots i might have been a bitmore in it and i think i should in most cases had a 40+ yesterday. Top in our session was 46 so others ( the Slim Real Mark Fisher) managed better than I.

Plus points? Priest, Scope and pellets were spot on so no problems there and great traveling company with Gadget (32) and Arms dealer back in his rightfull seat, who somewho hit 38 with out touching the gun since November, no weighed pellets, no clean barrel or not entirly sure of clicks lol

No comps not till gp 2, Far coley. At least the shooting positions are flat there so hopefully a more enjoyable day will result?
BFTA Grading Q's to;
sorry wont answer Bfta q's on forums, Cant keep track of replies etc!
BFTA updates on

REV26 Ostler Ev2 & x45 comp awaiting a Gary Cane Stock!
Beast Priest Ostler Ev2 & x45 prem ret comp in Warren Edwards stock
If you want the best, Ostler is the man
Pump your Fish, Little or Large
MFTA visitors World championship - Arms dealer 97, Awesime 94, Acid Hands 85

Last edited by NJR 100; 22nd April 2013 at 11:33 AM.