View Single Post
Old 13th April 2013, 08:11 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by pirellip View Post
Ahh, if most of your targets are 40+ yards, that makes sense.

Typically we have 3 targets per lane (2 shots per target) with 1 target 10-25 yards away, 1 25-35 and 1 35+ away. We also use different hit zone sizes:

1/4" - up to 15 yards
3/8" - up to 20 yards
1/2" - up to 25 yards
3/4" - up to 35 yards
1.0" - up to 45 yards
1.25" - up to 50 yards
1.50+"-up to 55 yards

It's a different type of match when compared to UK shooting, as to hit a 1/4" at 15 yards, you must really have your clicks setup perfectly.

Note we also have 2 power levels: sub 12fpe (no harness or straps) and sub 20fpe (allowed to use harness or straps). Both of these categories are shot on the same course at the same time. While most of us started shooting sub 20fpe, more and more of use are switching to the sub 12fpe category. Interesting to note that several of the top US Field Target shooters are also going the sub 12fpe route
In our national series we run 15mm (2/3") up to 25 yds, and 1" out to 45, but below 40 yds i don't think optical centre is going to be a knock on effect for rangefinding, as it's pretty easy to do so. Also, most rigs are flat at 12 between 25-30, and are barely a click or so out 5yds either side. For those that use low mounts, the closer ones are flatter, but you still need your dialing to be close on the closer ones, and for those that use high scopes, this becomes more critical, but either way you need to know your dial points, and at those ranges, I don't see optical centring affecting performance, more just a way of ensuring you've enough travel.

In some regions they do go smaller here, not sure down to what though. But on national series shoots, the game is pitched long.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep