View Single Post
Old 15th March 2013, 11:04 AM

I'm sure that this will go down like a bag of sh!te ...

Not the sun shining directly in your eyes behind the target but ...

In cricket we obviously have sight screens that sit just outside the boundary so that the batsmen can see the ball coming out of the bowler's hand. It's usually traditional for these to be white. At a club where I played we had large white panels for sight screens. Fantastic on a dull day. However, one year, they painted the screens in white gloss. On a sunny day it was unbearable when you were batting with the sun behind you. The sun glared off the white sight screens and they literally blinded you. Following this the screens were painted with a matt very pale blue paint. A lot of clubs do this ( just a hint of blue ). This gives a perfect solution. The red ball can still be seen against the pale blue ... and on very sunny days the pale blue ( matt ) doesn't give the same glare as white.

So why am I talking about cricket again? ... because the rule ( or the norm ) in HFT seems to be to use white painted targets with a black kill. I've had loads of targets where, on a sunny Sunday morning, the sun has been behind me and looking through the scope the target plate is very bright and glaring and having taken the shot I've still got the after burn of the image in my eye for a few minutes.

I've put shoots on in the past and used pale blue matt painted targets and I think they are a better option than white. You can still see the black kill zone but you don't get the glare that a white target gives ( especially if gloss paint used ) with the sun behind the shooter.

Last edited by skires; 15th March 2013 at 11:06 AM.