View Single Post
Old 8th March 2013, 10:13 AM
Member of: NOFTC CRPC

Originally Posted by rich View Post
Conor, I get all that. What I'm finding odd to follow is why the BFTA insists on seeing a copy of the shooter's home club's insurance. If it's the host club's insurance that provides the cover for the event, then that is the cover that ought to be checked beforehand.

Sending in a copy of my club's insurance certificate doesn't prove that I am a member of that club. It's only recently that NSRA has demanded to see a list of names of members at renewal time, and that isn't made available to third parties.

Don't get me wrong, my club is properly insured, I'm not looking for cheapskate solutions, I'm just examining the logic of the present situation.
When I shoot at my home club I sign in (Club knows I am there and I know I am insured).

When I attend a shoot at a regional comp, I sign in there and present my BFTA number (rarely asked for card) so that my score may count and I am insured by the hosting club but with my current BFTA card I can show any other shooter that I am covered by my Home Club insurance too.

Not having a BFTA card would mean not being able to show I have cover if there is some sort of accident which would need insurance cover. If I turned up as a visitor with no club or BFTA membership then I would expect to show I have some personal liability insurance in the event of some incident. The host club's cover would not offer personal liability insurance if the fault was not the cub or another insured shooter.

So isn't the BFTA card similar to a motor insurance cover note?

Accidents do unfortunately happen but insurers don't make money by paying out every time :-(