View Single Post
Old 26th February 2013, 01:42 PM
Default Totley Rifle Range

I live in the village of Totley, which was at the very north east of Derbyshire, until it was grabbed by Sheffield and incorporated into the West Riding of Yorkshire in 1935. The rifle range was renowned as being one of the very best in the country, but was sadly closed because of right to roam terrorists trespassing within red flag exclusion zones every time the T/A or Army Cadets were shooting, and then complaining to the police that they were being shot at by the army.

My late grandfather 1899-1992 was a member of the army reserve (T/A) circa 1930 and gained his marksman's badge at the Totley range. Nothing unusual there I here you muttering, until I mention that he was presented with his badge by Lt Colonel Benard Law Montgomery.

Bearing in mind that Sheffield is the 4th or 5th largest city in the country (dependant on whether Sheffield or Leeds are in charge of the mathematics), there are no outdoor shooting ranges in Sheffield, the irony of having a real cracker 5 minutes from my home that cannot be used is not lost on me. However I have found a cracking Derbyshire situated HFT club that is only a 20 minutes drive away, who's members have been very welcoming to me.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread