View Single Post
Old 11th September 2009, 11:44 AM
RobF's Avatar
RobF RobF is offline
My Empire of Dirt
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset
Location: Poole, Dorset
Posts: 10,171
Default Home Office's Independent Safeguard:Vetting & Barring

I've sent this up to the BFTA. so this should not be considered EFTA or BFTA advice or info, more my personal take on it... but it might be a heads up for others out there.

Informal arrangements between parents will not be covered, but anyone taking part in activities involving "frequent" or "intensive" contact with children or vulnerable adults three times in a month, every month, or once overnight, must register, it has emerged.

After November 2010 failure to register could lead to criminal prosecution and fine. The clubs themselves also face a £5,000 penalty for using non-vetted volunteers.
Looks like a shed load of more paperwork for the clubs & orgs... how this is approached I don't know...

25 (!) page FAQ here

Below are some cherry picked items that I feel are relevant and my comments.

Q15. How much will it cost for an individual to register with the ISA?

Answer £64.00

Q16. Will volunteers have to pay the ISA registration fee?

Not if they only work as unpaid volunteers. But if at some subsequent point they take up paid employment in regulated activity, a fee would be payable at that stage.
So, if I charge for an instructor's course, then I will have to do this if it involves minors.

Q20. What is the definition of a ‘vulnerable adult’?
• Does not apply to people just because they may be older or have a disability.
• The term is defined according to the service, setting or situation where staff or
volunteers are in a position of trust and people have a right to expect that trust
will not be abused.
• the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 defines a vulnerable adult in
section 59.
Section 59 Vulnerable adults
(1) A person is a vulnerable adult if they have attained the age of 18 and—
(a) they are in residential accommodation,
(b) they are in sheltered housing,
(c) they receive domiciliary care,
(d) they receive any form of health care,
(e) they are detained in lawful custody,
(f) they are by virtue of an order of a court under supervision by a person exercising
functions for the purposes of Part 1 of the Criminal Justice and Court Services Act
2000 (c. 43),
(g) they receive a welfare service of a prescribed description,
(h) they receive any service or participate in any activity provided specifically for
persons who fall within subsection (9),
(i) payments are made to them (or to another on their behalf) in pursuance of
arrangements under section 57 of the Health and Social Care Act 2001 (c. 15), or
(j) they require assistance in the conduct of their own affairs.
So, we won't have to worry too much about some, but we will have to perhaps consider the requirements of those attending Sportability shoots if they require assistance from some one else to participate in FT shoots etc.

Q22. What is the definition of ‘regulated activity’?
Regulated activity is defined as:

• Activity involving contact with children or vulnerable adults and is of a specified nature (e.g. teaching, training, care, supervision, advice, medical treatment or in
certain circumstances transport) on a frequent, intensive and/or overnight basis;
• Activity involving contact with children or vulnerable adults in a specified place
(e.g. schools, care homes, etc), frequently or intensively;
• Fostering and childcare.
• Certain specified positions of responsibility (e.g. school governor, director of
children’s services, director of adult social services, trustees of certain charities).
These positions are set out in the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006.
So that covers Range officers or marshalls for a start. There won't be a fee though for them.

Q24. What are the definitions of ‘frequently’ and ‘intensively’?
‘Frequently’ is defined as once a month or more.
‘Intensively’ is defined as where an activity takes place on three or more days in any
30 day period; or overnight (between 2am and 6am)
Pretty straight forward to understand.

Q25. For the purposes of the Scheme, what is the definition of a child?
• A young person under the age of 18, except in employment settings, where the
age limit is 16. So there are no requirements on those working with a 16 or 17
year old in employment settings.
So all under 18's in the club or as guests...

• ISA-registration is not intended to replace CRB checks.
• Where CRB checks are mandatory they will continue to be, regardless of the new requirements of the Vetting and Barring Scheme.
Q40. How will the scheme work?
Anyone wanting to work or volunteer with children or vulnerable adults will be required to register with the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) by law.
Q63. When will the VBS go live?
• The Vetting and Barring Scheme will introduce new safeguarding measures on
12 October 2009. Individuals will be able to register from July 2010.
• This ‘go live’ stage will see a widening of the sectors in which a person can be
barred from working with children and/or vulnerable adults, including for example
the NHS and Prison Service.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread