View Single Post
Old 11th February 2013, 08:58 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Bought a kit about 8 years ago, had a blow brush, glasses cloth and a solution in a small bottle all came in a small box, been great over the years and been trying to find another as not much left but it has lasted for years

Think that's the way to do it... if you get one bit of grit on a lens pen then you just turn it into a grinding kit.

Blow all loose stuff off with a blower.

Use a super soft brush, like the ones used for make up, lightly, to remove dust.

Then use a camera cleaning solution and lint free one use only cloths... apply the solution and wipe with no contact pressure, throw cloth away, repeat. Only once you're absolutely 100% sure there's no grit can stubborn smudges be removed with a super soft micro fibre cloth, which i tend to cut up and throw away each piece afterwards.

I've just bought some sealed cloths with solution from tescos and i'm going to give them a go on my cheaper scopes to see how they perform.

The ocular (eyepiece) is the most critical, that's the one that any dirt on will disturb the picture you see. The objective lens can carry quite a large amount of dirt before any optical degradation is noticed. Indeed there's photos taken with smashed objectives which show very little distortion to the picture.

The main danger is grit/dust being rubbed into the lens and scoring/scratching it. Once in, these can't be removed.

That's why on wet shoots I carry a blower bottle to remove rain drops and only resort to a wipe with a cloth from a sealed clean cloth as a last resort.

Lenspens can skid on the felt pad if used hard, or trap grit. I used them when I first started but there are better ways especially if you're at home and not in the field.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep