View Single Post
Old 16th November 2012, 12:48 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by Gcos View Post
This is getting a lot of interesting ideas and thoughts. Just to go back a step apart from Aitch no one has talked about the air in front of the pellet or projectile. I had expected more input with from the F1 experts on the clean air ,dirty air theory.

Apart from a stripper looking good on a gun, the other thing we are sure of is that you can change the way a gun feels with regard to recoil (not sure thats the right terminology) that is muzzle flip up ,down or straight back.

In one of Aitches posts he said that magna porting increases the speed of the projectile leaving the barrel , that must be a good thing depending of course on whether that hits the chrono at an over the top figure .

If one was to go down the route of trying magna porting does anyone have any ideas about ,size of holes and where the should be.
Clean air is still air, but the air is called dirty because it has turbulence and low pressure meaning aeros don't generate the downforce that normal still air would as they hit it.

When a pellet leaves a barrel there isn't that much air flowing past it. GC's pics show hairs on darts being disturbed but these are very light in relation to the pellet itself. Somewhere there is some footage of a pellet leaving at 6ft-lb but i can't find it at the moment... but there isn't much muzzle blast coming past it before the pellet leaves the muzzle, and there's no obvious evidence of destabilisation, which although you may think on a 6ft-lb gun you'd see less, it probably has more effect because the blast will be still strong but the pellet won't get out of the way so fast.

Here's a .32 moving at what it described as considerably below the speed of sound. The schlieren photography method shown reveals changes in air density due to pressure. We don't know how far from the muzzle it was taken.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep