View Single Post
Old 14th November 2012, 12:26 PM
Member of: Harriers

Originally Posted by Conor View Post
I even tried just a plain end cap with no cone and its still better without the end cap.
Not too surprising... When I was in Hungary, I had a consultation with a professor from the Technical University of Budapest, Department of Fluid Mechanics. He was very kind and spent a few hours from his life to discuss what is happening with the blown out air.

Maybe it'd be worth an article in my blog one day, but in a nutshell:
The thing is that the air with high pressure and velocity behaves rather like a fluid, i.e. it goes mainly in one direction and bounces back from surfaces like fluid. This means that the so called air-stripping is just a wish because 80-90% of the air goes in the hole after the pellet in the first few cm-s. If we want to do something useful then it's advised to build a thing rather like a muzzle brake which helps us by keeping follow through as you said. But maybe a barrel weight can do the same...

Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Contrary to popular myth, ballistic coefficient is the same with and without strippers, they DO take the same amount of wind.
Shooting is full of myths and they keep themselves strong in the minds. But every myth has some grounds, e.g. a not properly centered air stripper can push the pellets to one side and this can seem as 'less influenced by the wind' if this side happens to be the same where the wind is blowing from.

It's not a representative comparison method that 'my grouping is tighter with this stripper than it was three months ago without it'. Many times we cheat ourselves involuntarily and are inclined to see what we'd like to see. I remember at my lock-time tests, how many people claim that they can feel this or that rifle much quicker and it turned out that there are only a few milliseconds - far below our reaction time - or even nothing between two rifles.

We should do controlled and repeated tests, preferably blind tests of course: one is shooting 5-shot groups with a paper collar on the barrel and another one changes the air stripper for each round, randomly either on its place or only sellotaped below the barrel etc. It's important that the shooter should not know whether he is shooting with or without the stripper at that moment. Let me mention the situation where the shooter complains about his trigger, the trainer takes the rifle and turns an adjustment screw 1/2 turn out and then 1/2 turn back, saying it's fixed now - et voilá, the shooter feels it's much better and shoots better with it, although nothing has changed.
The Updated BFTA ManualsMaestro Design FT Accessories