View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:37 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by greyskullnz View Post
Now the real point of the rules change is starting to be understood.

It was not to draw a line in the sand and say you won't cross was to bring back shooters to their homelands/place of birth, bring them back in contact with those still resident in those Countries and form bonds which would help spread the game and bring up the general level of skills over time.

Australia are in their infancy, and would clearly benefit from advice and help from someone who plays the game every other weekend. We plan internationals with them in the near future but the help we can give is limited. They have Dave Combrink over there currently.

You say its good for England because you can cherry pick and shed extra shooters into other member RGB's....where I think it will over time strengthen other RGB's until one day England sits rocking in a corner muttering to itself about the good old days, turnips and general root vegetables native to that fair land.

Ok all joking aside, I also have Welsh and English Parentage, plus NZ birth status. If I don't make the NZ team can I join yours Rob?

I don't think smaller countries should have their chances removed, what I am saying is that they should not be largely artificially created. It's kind of a rub to a country that has a developing scene to not be able to send the full range of shooters to the worlds because someone from a very well established country invokes their plastic passport for a place when it soley suits them.

Shooters shouldn't be shackled to their country for life if they have moved, but if it's about helping the sport in their country, then they should at least offer some committment to that country rather than chopping when it suits them. That won't change who really wants to shoot for their country, because they can still do it. That will more likely bolster teams with strong shooters, rather than with weaker shooters who know they won't make another team and just wave a plastic passport or dig up an 80 year old relative for 3 days of their shooting lifetime, just because the event is on their doorstep and they still have some pellets left in the tin they bought last year.

If you ask me, chuck the parent thing out completely. Allow people to choose between residency and birthplace, and only allow a change due to residency, and after a few years. Requirement for all shooters to belong to their country's RGB (like the BDS insist on). That way you'll get some stability in the teams and the skill dropdown you talk of. I see no good reason to allow shooters to swap countries year by year with no change in personal circumstances.

Further, it will create a need to really check that there was some sort of residency 60 years ago, that parents were born etc... complete paperwork nightmare unless you're not going to take it seriously. I suspect though that if someone trod on someone elses toes and formed a team that came 2nd to the English you may very well find a whole series of teams questioning the legitimacy of a team. As a reminder, that has already happened.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep